About the Better Public Building Initiative
In 2000, the Prime Minister asked ministers and departments across government to work towards achieving a fundamental change in the quality of building design in the public sector.
We know that good design provides a host of benefits. It can:
- Revitalise neighbourhoods and cities
- Transform derelict sites and neglected buildings, reducing pressure on the countryside
- Uplift and bring hope to run-down communities
- Help with end of tenancy cleaning london in houses and apartments
- Reduce crime, illness, and truancy
- Help public services perform better and aid staff recruitment and retention
Good design is not a costly luxury. In fact, best practice in integrating design and construction delivers better value for money - as well as better buildings. And this is especially apparent when attention is paid to the full costs of a building over its lifetime.